Wednesday, December 4, 2019

OS 95 Cube

While playing constructed decks is a lot of fun and allows all sorts of goofy combos and interactions, and the decks that are assembled and tested over and over is a great part of the hobby, there is another part known as drafting.

I am not nearly as seasoned a drafter as many in the old school community but I find the format to be a lot of fun.  Every time you assemble a deck from drafted cards its a new and exciting experience.  You can try to make decks that fit your "play style" but a lot of the time that is just not a luxury you have.  You have to build a deck with skill but also with luck.

Drafting from a booster box is what most players do.  You can easily head down to your local FLGS and buy a box or go online and buy one but for use Old School players buying a box of Revised is out of the question.

Luckily Cubes were invented.  I don't know the origin of the idea but I think it is a great option for Magic players who want to play with cards that aren't in standard.  Its great for the players because they get to play with cards they don't normally play with (or with cards that they want to play with).  Its also great for the person who put the Cube together to see their creation in action and be able to adjust the cube to make it more balanced or to allow it to support certain archetypes.

I have assembled my first Cube (Old School or otherwise) just earlier this year.  A friend of mine donated a great Old School card box to put the Cube in and I also bought Cubeamajigs to hold the cards to simulate booster packs.




Here is my first version of the OS95 Cube:

We did an eight person draft a few weeks ago and it was quite fun.  We played 3 rounds of swiss.

Since it is a singleton draft without a lot of color hate and also no power or dual lands people could build some archetypes pretty well.

The winner overall  had a blue and black control deck with Counterspell, discard spells, Control Magic and Binding Grasp along with Terror and Drain Life.

Another person was able to build a Green / Red aggro deck that fared quite well.  It had Lightning Bolt and Erhnam Djinn and Llanowar Elves and even Channel and Fireball which he was able to pull off at one point to win a game!

One other notable deck was mono-Red.  It was very strong with Shivan Dragon and Dragon Whelp and Disintegrate.

I built a Blue / White controlly deck that wasn't great but I still had fun and interesting matches.



After this event I decided I wanted to up the power level of the Cube as well as add in some multiples of certain cards.

I don't think I want to have 4 of any cards but I may do 3 of some and 2 of other cards.

Cards I want to add to up the power level and to introduce Tribal Decks:
- Balance
- Mind Twist
- Sol Ring
- Regrowth
- Titania's Song
- Demonic Tutor
- Berserk
- Sink Hole
- Ice Storm
- Serendib Efreet
- Stone Rain
- Wrath of God
- Armageddon
- Strip Mine
- Maze of Ith
- Storm Seeker
- The Rack
- Black Vise
- Braingeyser
- Goblin King
- Lord of Atlantis
- Vodalian Knights
- Sylvan Library
- Land Tax

Card I want to have multiples of:
- Swords to Plowshares
- Lightning Bolt
- Disenchant
- Nevinryrral's Disk
- Goblin Balloon Brigade
- Mons's Goblin Raiders
- Icatian Javelineers
- Tundra Wolves
- Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
- Phantasmal Terrain
- Spell Blast
- Hypnotic Specter
- Sengir Vampire
- Terror
- Animate Dead
- Bad Moon
- Llanowar Elves
- Scryb Sprites
- Giant Growth
- Giant Spider
- Fog
- Fellwar Stone
- Aeolipile
- Howling Mine
- Icy Manipulater


I also intend to remove most of the walls and only include one iconic Wall per color.

I am also open to feedback as to how to improve the Cube.

2 comments:

  1. your blog rocks looking forward to reading all this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome thanks! I don't have anything really current but I am working on a few posts right now.

    ReplyDelete