Thursday, March 26, 2020

Northern Paladin Tuesday Night Gauntlet and a Troll Disco Deck

The Northern Paladins group based in Minneapolis has started a weekly online tournament called the Tuesday Night Gauntlet.

This past Tuesday was the second week.  I wasn't able to play the first week this week but I busted out an old deck and did some mods and was able to get in on the three round action.

I played my current version of Troll Disco.  It doesn't actually have that many trolls in it but initially it was all Uthdens and Sedges.

I have other creatures that play around with the idea of surviving or not surviving a Disk or an Earthquake.  Walking Dead, Drudge Skeletons, Sedge Trolls and Rukh Eggs all like to die or not.  If they don't die then the Disks and Earthquakes work for me, if they do die then I get Rukhs and big Khabal Ghouls!

The eight Lightnings are just brutal and can win games on their own.



The first round I played against a Red and White deck and I had the perfect sideboard card: Mountain Yeti!  Protection from White and Mountain walk gives it more survivability and makes it unblockable against red and white decks.  Unfortunately I never drew one and also it would have still been susceptible to Lightning Bolts.

I lost the first match 0-2.

The second match was against a Tron build, piloted by Angelo and I lost the first game but came back in the second to win.  We went to game three and I didn't quite have enough burn to win.  I lost the match 1-2.

The third match was against a Blue and Red deck, the writer of Gunnarson's Bag blog which is linked to the right.  It was a really fun match, he played some cards I'd never seen played like Serendib Djinn!  We had great time talking about Dwarves and I am going to have to post up my Red/White Soldier deck soon since we talked about that too.

The first game I won through lots of burn.  The second game he came back to get the win.  I then overwhelmed him in game three to finish the match.  I won the match 2-1.

All three matches were great!  It was a lot of fun meeting Nicholas in the first game, he had a great Magic story.  It was great playing Angelo again, it had been a long time since we had played last.  And it was fun talking to Roger also.

I really like that before the evening gets started the Northern Paladins meet on their Discord and just talk about Magic.  Its the next best thing to hanging out with them in person.

I would highly recommend playing in a Northern Paladins Tuesday Night Gauntlet and I'll be there next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment